Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
427 Patton St., Room 330
Danville, VA 24541
P.O. Box 3300
Ph: (434) 773-8232 ext 4
Ph: (434) 773-8232 ext 3
Fx: (434) 797-4592
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
The GIS Division of the Department of Information Technology oversees the use and development of location-based information for the City of Danville. This includes software support and data maintenance for the many departments utilizing GIS.
Public Access GIS
The City offers three GIS-based public access websites:
- Discover Danville Sites - Investigate Danville's available development properties and buildings, run a business search, and analyze market demographics.
- Danville Parcel Viewer - Search our property database for parcel assessment information and transfer history. View multiple years of aerial photography.
- Danville myCommunity Map - Easily find restaurants, shopping, parks, schools, services, and amenities. Try the "I Want To" feature to learn about Danville.
All requests for printed or digital GIS information require submission of a form and City approval. Completed forms should be emailed to GIS Support or faxed to the attention of the GIS Coordinator at (434) 797-4592. Fees are charged at the City's discretion per the fee schedule. Return all applicable forms, as follows:
Custom maps are available in printed or PDF form. There may be a charge for printed material, especially of large size or quantity.
Digital GIS data is available for free to consultants under contract with the City of Danville and select public entities. Other businesses, organizations, and indviduals will be charged according to our fee schedule. All requestors must submit both of the following documents for approval by the City's IT Director.
More About GIS
For more information about what GIS is and how it is used, visit any of the following sites:
- What is GIS? - "GIS allows us to view, understand, question, interpret, and visualize data in many ways that reveal relationships, patterns, and trends in the form of maps, globes, reports, and charts." Read more about the technology and uses of GIS ...
- International GIS Day - "GIS Day is held each year in the third week of November, on the Wednesday during Geography Awareness Week, a geographic literacy initiative sponsored by the National Geographic Society." Read more about this international event and Danville's participation in GIS Day ...
- Geocaching in Danville - "Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online." Read more about this exciting hobby and search for caches right here in Danville ...